Mold is a very common household problem. It can occur due to several reasons such as excess humidity, water leaks, etc. It can be health hazardous and causes various breathing problems. Also, it has a funky smell, which many people have reported as musky and bothersome. Therefore, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants to spread the mold awareness for ensuring you and your property’s safety.
Here are some of the mold facts that every property owner should know:
- Mold can happen to the cleanest homes too. A mold spore is a natural part of our environment and it is always present in the air. Moisture assists the mold in growing and it becomes visible to you. So, remember to keep your home and property moisture free to keep mold at bay.
- Mold can worsen allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory issues. Hence, mold is very dangerous for people experiencing such health issues. Even your pets health can get affected due to mold exposure.
- Once the mold is detected, clean it and eliminate the moisture source to ensure no mold growth otherwise it will grow again, no matter how hard you clean.
- One of the most common reasons that mold grows is ignoring the repairs like leaking pipes or water intrusion from the oudoors. Therefore, if you want to prevent mold growth in your property, ensure leakage repairs are done right on time.
- The ideal humidity level is 30% – 50%. You can do this by venting the bathrooms and installing dryer to the other rooms. Air conditioning and humidifier is also a good option to control the moisture level.
- You can wash off mold using cleaning agent or detergent but, ensure to let the area dry completely. For prominent cases, don’t take any risks and call for professional help otherwise mold be spread to other areas too.
- Adding insulation to windows, piping, exterior walls, roof and floors can be a great way to avoid mold formation. However, excessive moisture can still initiate mold growth. Thus, make sure any area exposed to moisture has full protection.
- Carpet that is near to water bodies like a water tank or fountains is high for mold growth risk. Ensure that they are not in contact with moisture.